Information Magazine about Adoption, Complex Cases of Fertility & Surrogacy
Asherman’s syndrome symptoms after D&C

Asherman’s syndrome symptoms after D&C

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">sherman</span>
    sherman

Hello, i had a mmc at 11 weeks last feb as the baby stopped developing at 6.5 weeks. I had d&c the same day and i’ve been experiencing asherman’s syndrome symptoms ever since…. i’ve read that Asherman’s is common after mmc/d&c and i’m freaking out because i’m planning on having children in the future. if asherman is confirmed, does it mean i’m not going to be able to get pregnant again?

05/09/2018 at 10:18
  2. Dear sherman,

It is true that intrauterine adhesions or Asherman’s syndrome can occur after undergoing D&C (Dilation & Curettage) that was performed after a missed miscarriage (MMC). As a matter of fact, pregnancy related D&Cs account or 90% of Asherman’s syndrome cases on average.

There is a 25% risk of developing Asherman’s syndrome from a D&C procedure when it is performed 2 to 4 weeks after delivery, and a 31% risk after procedures for missed miscarriages. Moreover, the risk of developing Asherman’s syndrome increases with the number of D&Cs performed. Simply put, if the risk with a single procedure is around 16%, it increases to 32% or more after 3 or more procedures.

So, in conclusion, my advice is that you visit your doctor as soon as possible if you think that you may be having Asherman’s syndrome symptoms to have it treated at once.

Read more: Asherman’s Syndrome – Grading, Symptoms, Causes & Fertility.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best wishes

05/10/2018 at 08:28
Other topics related to this forum