Information Magazine about Adoption, Complex Cases of Fertility & Surrogacy
Difference between embryo donation vs embryo adoption

Difference between embryo donation vs embryo adoption

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">heavens</span>
    heavens

Hello lovelies,

I’m looking for a fertility clinic and came across the terms embryo donation and embryo adoption. Is there a difference? For me at first sight it seems the same, because the terms just refer the people receiving or donating the embryos. So if I donate it’s embryo donation for me but for the other party the same procedure would be called embryo adoption as he or she is the recipient.

Am I right on this one?

11/28/2019 at 09:55
  2. Hi!

It is true that the terms “embryo adoption” and “embryo donation” are commonly used as synonyms, but they are actually not the same. Let’s clarify three terms in this regard: 1. adoption, 2. donation, and 3. cryopreserved embryos.

By “adoption”, in general, we make reference to the creation of a parent-child relationship, always by judicial order, between two parties. Such parties are usually unrelated, and it creates a parent-child relation between people that are not biologically related.

The term “donation” refers, conversely, to a voluntary gift made with altruistic purposes and to some worthwhile cause. It is commonly associated to charity, and it’s the action of making a free contribution, without expecting anything in return.

As for cryopreserved embryos, they are the result of fertilizing a human egg and a human sperm through in vitro fertilization (IVF). The unused embryos, that is, those embryos that haven’t been transferred to the woman’s uterus are frozen in liquid nitrogen. Such embryos are owned by the parents from whom genetic material came from. And they are the ones who can decide about their fate, which can be:

-Having additional children
    -Destroying them
    -Donating them to science
    -Giving them to other patients

The latter is a common option, but it is a donation, and therefore reimbursement is not involved. Some US states allow for it, but it is rather uncommon, since it is just a donation. Besides, an “adoption” can only be granted by the Court following the birth of a child, and that’s why the use of “embryo adoption” is incorrect.

In the case of embryo donation, the procedure does not involve the courts, and it’s managed through private contracts. This is the reason why “embryo adoption” and “embryo donation” is not the same.

Hope I could solve your question,

Best

11/28/2019 at 17:13
Leave a reply