Information Magazine about Adoption, Complex Cases of Fertility & Surrogacy
Do babies look like surrogate mother?

Do babies look like surrogate mother?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">apple</span>
    apple

Hello, we’re a straight couple. We’re about to start our surrogacy journey but we’re very concerned with the fact that our baby is gonna resemble the surrogate. That’s the only “issue” we find in surrogacy. We believe that a woman who bears the pregnancy, delivers the baby and resembles a baby will have a dilemma when it comes to giving up on the baby. What do you think? Will our baby look like her? Thnx!!!!

03/07/2018 at 14:39
  2. Dear apple,

No, there’s no reason why. Surrogate babies will be genetically linked to the surrogate if she uses her own eggs. That’s what we know as “traditional surrogacy”. But this type of surrogacy has fallen into disuse these days in favor of gestational surrogacy, a type in which the surrogate just carries the child until birth, without using her oocytes. This type of surrogacy is done using IVF surrogacy.

So, in conclusion, my advice is that you don’t have to worry. Rest assured that your baby won’t resemble the surrogate. If you use your gametes (egg and sperm), the baby will be genetically linked to you both.

This has been also discussed previously here: Do surrogate mothers pass on DNA?

Read more: What Is IVF Surrogacy? – Process, Success Rates & Cost.

I hope this helps,

Best

03/08/2018 at 08:35
  3. Hello dear, I hope you are fine. Nowadays, there are many infertility treatments. Surrogacy is one of them. This treatment is better than all others. Its success rate is so high. The surrogate mother is the healthy woman. That’s why there are rare chances of failure. And its nothing in this procedure which you are thinking. The baby will have your resemblance. Because your embryos are put into surrogate mother’s womb. She only carries the child for you. So there is nothing to be worried about. You should really go for this treatment. I also have this treatment through a very good clinic in Europe. I hope it will work for you.

08/08/2018 at 15:24
  4. Well, I think that traditional surrogate part is right! So, yeah! My cousin sister had it last year. Her baby was just exactly like the IPs, I mean them both. So, yeah! anyway! ask a surrogacy center for details, I guess both choices exist.

08/21/2018 at 19:42
  5. Hello, How are you? I think you need a little education regarding this. I chose gestational surrogacy. That’s why I had been the genetic mother of the baby.The other option also exists. That is the traditional method. Where the genetic mother is the surrogate.

08/26/2018 at 10:40
  6. According to my knowledge, it can only happen in one condition. Only if it is a traditional surrogacy. Yes, it is a possibility then. In gestational surrogacy, this is not possible. The baby will resemble the Ip’s. In any way, you shouldn’t be worried about this. You will still be getting a baby.

08/26/2018 at 13:10
  7. absolutely not, because in gestational surrogacy, the birth mother has no link other than the baby is carried by her. It is due to the reason that the gestational surrogacy is about transferring the embryo of the intended parent and intended father into the womb of the surrogate. So therefore, the baby has the biological features of IP, not the surrogate. Moreover, the surrogates don’t get emotionally attached to the baby. Because they know they are carrying it for someone else.

08/27/2018 at 20:26
  8. What a question though..
    No, your baby won’t look like your surro unless this is a traditional type of surrogacy. (In which you’re using the surro’s eggs and your partner’s sperms). Only this way your baby’s likely to inherit some genes from your surro.
    In case you’re using your own eggs and your partner’s sperms – the baby will look like YOU!! So if it’s your case – you may set your mind at peace. In my opinion surrogacy is the blessing. Here are the things I’ve already shared on another thread. here are so many other evident pros on why to opt for surrogacy. Among those I can think of: Single fathers who ant babies. Fear that the baby will be ugly. Not having a womb. Or having womb which won’t carry baby to term. Being of advanced maternal age. Risk of postpartum depression. Legitimate fear of childbirth. Trauma surrounding previous pregnancy or birth. Infertility problems – his, hers or both. Not wanting to stop medical treatments or the physical toll of carrying the baby. Fear that the baby will impact her career. LGBTQ couples looking to become parents. Avoidance of weight gain. Having previous miscarriages. Because adoption isn’t that easy. Mom and dad are faced with genetic challenges. Life threatening diseases. And so many others which make it quite ok to use surrogacy. As for the cons I really cannot think of any. Except why not to allow surrogacy everwhere? Surrogacy shouldn’t be banned. Because for some this is really the last option to fulfil their families.

03/11/2019 at 11:30
  9. I support surrogacy and it is unbelievable process from my experience which we had in Ukraine. And shouldn’t worry that your future baby will look like as surrogate mother. Most procedures produce children that are not genetically related to the surrogate mother but due to physiological issues there is some information exchange between the mother and the child but this is not related to DNA.
    Thus you should be relax! Surrogate babies are look like the intended parents!

03/15/2019 at 14:04
Leave a reply