Information Magazine about Adoption, Complex Cases of Fertility & Surrogacy
Should international surrogacy be legalized?

Should international surrogacy be legalized?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">megan</span>
    megan

Guys, I’m British and I with my husband, we want to have a baby via surrogate abroad because the conditions in our country are worse than unbearable… we think they are against our rights as parents, in fact. I know many british people pursue it overseas and we’re interested in Ukraine, Greece, even the US if our budget allows for it – we’ve been saving for a while…
    We also think that commercial surrogacy should be legal, why not? We pay money to women who make a spectacle of themselves on tv shows, so why not compensating the tremendous effort a surrogate would do for us? We can’t understand this “feminist” trend of thought that assumes that surrogacy equals exploitation of the rights of women, honestly.
    We are throwing out this question for all of you because we want you to share your opinion and also some advice for those of you who have done it abroad, if any 🙂

09/14/2017 at 18:50
  2. Hey megan, I’m so sorry to say this but I think that international surrogacy is dangerous and unfair, and that it leads to the exploitation of poor women. See the example of India… can you see anything positive about it? I don’t think so. In fact, I think that surrogacy equals child trafficking, especially in underdeveloped countries like India, Thailand, Nepal, etc…
    I really hope that surrogacy works for you, but have you considered adoption firstly? Why not adopting a child? You rich people always prefer to buy a brand new one, don’t you?

09/17/2017 at 15:03
  3. Hey! I think surrogacy should be legalized internationally. However, I think it should be properly regulated. I love the laws in Ukraine. It’s going through a bit of a rough patch. But, they have a great procedure for surrogacy. I think that is how it should be worldwide. I’m very much against COMMERCIAL surrogacy which exploits poor people!

08/25/2018 at 19:23
  4. This is something that is being debated worldwide. People from all over the world have different opinions regarding this. However, one thing that I would want to point out is that infertility is something that the women who are going through can feel and understand. When I was diagnosed with infertility and all my procedures failed this was my only hope. Imagine not being able to conceive year after year? I think people need to become more acceptable about it. They should accept it for the positive impact it is having. I am about to start this process for myself. I think if you research properly and find a good clinic your process will go smoothly. The clinic I am visiting is not only making sure that no error is being made but is also very systematic. So far my experience with them is great. Good luck to everyone. I hope everyone is able to see it in a positive way. Sending baby dust to those are trying to conceive. Never loose hope.

08/26/2018 at 18:43
  5. This is an interesting take on things. Well, I agree with a few points. Yes, we are paying them and hence it should not be an issue. I also agree with Patt. There is exploitation in the name of commercial surrogacy. I strongly believe it is because of a lack of laws and regulations. If there were strict rules, the situation would have been different. Nothing becomes an issue until and unless there is no exploitation involved. So if there is a proper check on how surrogates are financed and not exploited. I don’t think it is a bad idea. Also in some countries Adoption is a very lengthy process. So people opt for surrogacy.

08/27/2018 at 07:07
    • I’m with you. Adoption might not be an easier or faster way to get the baby. Moreover, it’s usually a complicated and lengthy process. And it might cost you a lot too. So if there is a possibility of applying for surrogacy, I’d use it anyway. I cannot make head or tail of what people are saying about exploitation.. I believe surrogates make their personal decision on whether to carry the baby for somebody else or not (I mean the countries where the commercial surrogacy is allowed). And no one can force anyone to do this. I also don’t care about the reasons which make the surrogates to choose this path. I know this might sound a bit rough. But I’m not against paying the surrogate legally for what she’s doing for me. It should be some fair process, right?. Moreover I cannot se the reason the surrogates shouldn’t be compensated. I don’t understand it altruistic, as carrying the baby for somebody else might be a huge emotional and physical burden.

03/06/2019 at 13:17
    • I’m with you. We have already encountered couples who chose Ukraine purely for the guarantee factor of a baby. Though it may sound strange. (For ex., we have signed the guaranteed package of 5 ivf shots with donor egg for 9900 EUR. In case they fail, they’ll refund all money paid back!!) Also Ukraine seems to be one of the fewest places where the laws favor the intended parents rather than a surrogate. Under Ukrainian law, the baby is yours from the moment of conception. Once the baby is born, the birth certificate is issued with your names.A surrogate can’t claim any rights. Lastly, the procedure in Ukraine is time-wise.

12/10/2019 at 19:37
  6. I am so sorry. Do not be disheartened, dear. It is illegal in some countries. That may be due to some of the major reasons. Reasons like overpopulation. No proper upbringing. Would you really want that to happen to your child? I wish not! But if you still want to pursue the dream. I would suggest you that go to another country that has it legal. Also, do some research into the costs and quality that a country provides it with. I do not think so that surrogacy exploits any women rights. Why don’t they do anything against those who are exploiting humans? This world is doing injustice. Honey, I hope your dream comes true!

08/27/2018 at 12:27
  7. Surrogacy is banned in some countries and in some countries it is legal. Surrogacy should not be banned as it is the last resort for many infertile couples to have a baby. It makes the dream come true for many infertile women to have a baby. No one wants to live without a child. Surrogacy is considered as a false act of reproduction by various people and it is a blessing for many infertile couples as well. There are specific rules and contracts for undergoing surrogacy. It is carried out with proper channels and the contracts are signed before starting this journey. Everyone has his/her own views on it legalization and its prohibition. But it is a blessing for infertile couples.

09/29/2018 at 06:05
    • Opting for surrogacy in Ukraine is relatively affordable. Some of Ukrainian clinics have all-inclusive plans (60k euors). In the clinic where we’ve recently been successful, this sum of money covers absolutely everything outside of the plane tickets.They offer all things that involve IVF for you if you are using your own eggs, surrogate screening and medical costs, and birth at the hospital for the same cost. It is also the same price if you choose to use donor eggs instead. I believe this is a nice back-up plan to have if sth goes wrong.. Even if the first surrogate doesn’t work out, they will try again and again with another using your frozen embryos until they are successful.

12/10/2019 at 19:35
  8. There are a few countries where surrogacy is legal for non-residents! And I believe that Ukraine is the best place for the surrogacy journey!
    We also can`t have children due to my poor fertility condition. I spent days and nights looking for a good clinic with good price! We also have a limited budget thus Ukraine was the most suitable option for our family! And I found a perfect place in Kiev! 2 years ago we had paid around 30k euros for everything! The medical and legal parts were ok! We had some troubles with accommodation but in 1 day our problem was solved! The main thing that we got our healthy boy! Thus I believe that surrogacy should be available everywhere!

01/18/2019 at 11:55
  9. I am infertile and I would love to have an opportunity to have surrogacy in my native country! Thus surrogacy is the necessity of our time! Due to the prohibition of surrogacy in our country, we had to undergo the procedure in Ukraine.
    Unfortunately, the US clinic has a really crazy price for the surrogacy thus it wasn’t an option for us! We also considered about surrogacy in Russia but the surrogacy law there turned to be so controversial! Luckily we succeed with the surrogacy in Ukraine!
    But surely, if we had the possibility to use surrogacy in our country we would love to have it here! I believe that authorities must reconsider surrogacy law in many countries where exist prohibition!

01/30/2019 at 12:59
    • I agree, Ukraine is much more favourable..If one looks into the process of surrogacy in the US he’ll find it to be overwhelmingly expensive. Unless you have a kind family member or friend or sb else who is willing to carry it for you. For ex., if things go wrong, such as a surrogate backing out or a miscarriage, you automatically have to pay at least $5k to match with another surrogate. In some states, surrogate mothers retain a parental right to the child. Then you have to go through the process of adopting the baby in court. All of the legal paperwork, signing a contract, matching a surrogate, having the surrogate go through the work-up -it’s been 1-2 yrs since you started the process.

12/10/2019 at 19:32
  10. I am absolutely for surrogacy – just always! if there’s no other way out.. But before choice done so many things are there to consider among countries/clinics. If we take for example, the UK legislation. The woman who gives birth is always treated as the mother in UK law and has the right to keep the child. Even if they’re not genetically related. However, parenthood can be transferred by parental order or adoption. Also surrogacy contracts aren’t enforced by UK law.
    The thing which bothers with the US law, for example, is that in some states surrogate mothers retain a parental right to the child. She can even pursue custody!! Even though the embryos placed in the surrogate have both of your DNA, the surrogate mother’s name is on the birth certificate! And then you have to go through the process of adopting the baby in court!
    The perfect destination in my opinion, is Ukraine. It’s a surrogacy friendly country. Under Ukrainian law the baby is yours from the moment of conception. The surrogate has no right to keep the baby after delivery. She cannot pursue the custody. The IP’s names are in the birth certificate. I know for sure our clinic guides through all the milestones concerning the exit process. That’s really great.

12/10/2019 at 19:28
Leave a reply