Information Magazine about Adoption, Complex Cases of Fertility & Surrogacy
Is surrogacy a mortal sin?

Is surrogacy a mortal sin?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Morgana24</span>
    Morgana24

Hello ladies, this is a serious topic.
    I’m considering being a surrogate mainly (to be totally honest) because my family and I need money. I know a childless couple that needs a surrogate and they are lovely, have gone through a lot and need help… I think they deserve the right to have children.
    As I said we need to make money because my son is about to start college and we have a 1 year old. My dilemma is that we’ve always considered ourselves Catholic but I’ve heard from someone in my community that surrogacy is a mortal sin, that we’d go to hell if I have a child for someone else, that the church is totally against this practice… How true is this? I don’t want to contravene God’s plan, but I’m being realistic now…
    What do you know about this?
    Please, help us out!

03/08/2018 at 14:23
  2. Hello Morgana24,

I’m afraid that yes, the Catholic Church is against surrogacy arrangements as well as other forms of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) to the extent that fertilization occurs artificially. For the Church, conception is something that should occur between husband and wife through intercourse. Anything that doesn’t occur in this way is considered to contravene God’s principles.

I hope this helps,

Best

03/09/2018 at 12:25
Leave a reply