Information Magazine about Adoption, Complex Cases of Fertility & Surrogacy
Is PGD necessary for surrogacy?

Is PGD necessary for surrogacy?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">between us</span>
    between us

Hi Doc, we’re a straight couple with multiple IVF cycles failed and now we’re moving on to surrogacy. Almost every person I’ve spoken to has included PGD in their IVF Surrogacy cycle to examine their embryos in the search of genetic abnormalities. Wondering if this is necessary in all cases or if it’s just an optional decision of the IPs… If it’s not mandatory, we believe we don’t wanna do it – it’s really expensive and we don’t need it! It’s a waste of money in my opinion…

10/10/2017 at 09:54
  2. Hello,

Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) is a technique that is typically used when there’s a high chance for genetic abnormalities or diseases to be present in the embryo due to multiple reasons, including repeated implantation failure (RIF), family history of genetic diseases, genetic abnormalities in the gametes (egg and sperm), etc.

In spite of that, some professionals perform PGD in all embryos, irrespective of whether there exists a particular reason why the embryos are genetically affected. The goal is to ensure that the embryos are free from genetic diseases or abnormalities, thereby choosing only healthy embryos for the IVF transfer. However, in my opinion, opting for PGD in all cases by default can reduce the number of embryos to transfer and therefore the chances of getting pregnant.

For this reason, if there’s no evidence of genetic abnormalities, PGD is unlikely to be needed. In other words, there’s no reason why you have to include it in your treatment cycle.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best regards

10/11/2017 at 11:35
  3. Hope you are fine now. I can feel your condition. This is a very painful time. I agree with you Infertility is a painful disease. Many women can not bear this pain. To face the multiple failures of IVF is the worst experience. You are a brave lady. You have to fight infertility. I’ve also faced the infertility disease. I found a clinic in Europe. This is best for surrogacy treatment. Now I have a lovely daughter with surrogacy treatment. I think you should go with surrogacy. It’s too safe then IVF. Don’t lose hope. Best wishes to you. Keep smiling.

08/18/2018 at 13:57
  4. I’ve read a lot about PGD on forums. People react differently. But the majority seems to be for the procedure as there are more benefits than risks of it. PGD allows a fertility care team to determine if embryos are effected by a genetic disease. This information helps to know which embryos are best suited for transfer. And which ones are most likely to result in a healthy pregnancy. Understanding the benefits of PGD can help us to decide if this treatment option is best for our needs.
    As far as we know, PGD is performed by removing a single cell from a developing embryo. Then the following is performed. The removed cell is thoroughly analyzed and evaluated to determine if a genetic disease exists. Once all embryos are tested, a healthy embryo is implanted in the mother. Other healthy embryos are usually stored for future use. Embryos that have a genetic disease are obviously not used for IVF.
    So who benefits from PGD. While it can benefit all couples, there are certain groups of people that should consider having PGD done as a part of fertility treatment. Such individuals are more likely to have embryos with genetic diseases:
    Who are known carriers for genetic diseases.
    Who themselves have a chromosomal disorder.
    Women who are over age 35.
    Who have had multiple miscarriages.
    Who have had multiple failed IVF cycles.
    Couples who have a child with a genetic disease.
    At our clinic we were explained a number of benefits of PGD including:
    The ability to test for more than 100 genetic diseases!!
    Identifying embryos that are of a poor quality and likely to result in miscarriage before implantation.
    Peace of mind that the developing embryo is healthy and well suited for live birth.

09/13/2019 at 07:14
Leave a reply