Information Magazine about Adoption, Complex Cases of Fertility & Surrogacy
Reasons against traditional surrogacy

Reasons against traditional surrogacy

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">melo</span>
    melo

Hey, i’m getting started with surrogacy these days and just seeing that people actually talk about gestational surrogacy… traditional surrogacy is like never mentioned and out of curiosity i wanted to know why… can someone explain, please? thank you very much!!!!!!

11/25/2017 at 17:42
  2. Dear melo,

Basically, in traditional surrogacy arrangements, the surrogate provides her own eggs in addition to carrying the pregnancy. In other words, she will be the genetic mother of the child.

In traditional surrogacy, the surrogate is artificially inseminated using the intended father’s sperm, which makes the process less technically challenging, as there’s no need for ovarian stimulation or egg retrieval to fertilize the eggs by means of IVF.

In spite of this “advantage”, traditional surrogacy is not recommended in any case for the following two reasons:

1. The surrogate is the genetic mother of the child. This can make the legal process following birth more complicated.
    2. Surrogacy is a complex process. Pregnant women often create an affective bond with the baby they carry. This bond is not so strong when the birth mother is not genetically linked to the baby.

These two reasons make gestational surrogacy more appropriate from all viewpoints. If the intended mother cannot use her own eggs, the fertilization is done using the eggs of an egg donor.

See also: What Are the Different Types of Surrogacy?

I hope I have been able to help,

Best

11/28/2017 at 15:03
  3. In traditional, the surrogate provides her own eggs in addition to carrying the pregnancy. In this, the surrogate mother has the genetic relationship with the baby. I hope you will understand this. I so happy for you. You take the right decision. Have a safe journey.

08/18/2018 at 13:36
  4. Hello dear, you are right. This is something we never talk about. I have seen fewer people go through it. That is because of the surrogate mother is the genetic mother. My sister also had to choose surrogacy. She had gestational surrogacy. I will tell you to go for it. Definitely, it is better than the traditional method. I hope you make the right decision. I wish you the best of luck in your treatment. I hope you have support from your back. It really helps otherwise. Be patient with time. Trust the process. Good luck.

08/26/2018 at 10:28
  5. I would like to present another aspect here. I do agree with the above-mentioned points. However, in some cases, the reason is the genetic relation of the baby. The parents are more interested in having a genetic connection with the baby. Hence, gestational surrogacy is preferred in this case. Also, the legal obligations become less messy. I have seen people avoiding traditional surrogacy. They fear the child would be like the mother. This is a very common reason to opt for gestational surrogacy. Usually, gay couples opt for traditional surrogacy as it is the best option for them. Otherwise, gestational surrogacy is quite popular as you mentioned as well. I also came across this one case where the intended parents wanted to choose the gender of the baby. The doctor told them that gestational surrogacy can make this possible. So this can be another reason for the popularity.

08/26/2018 at 13:19
  6. Yeah, I have seen many people debating over this issue. The difference is simple as mentioned by Sandra. In the traditional surrogacy, the surrogate is the biological mother of the child. While in gestational surrogacy, the egg used is the one of the intended mother and transferred into the womb of the surrogate. I agree with Sandra, that the complication with traditional surrogacy cannot be denied. There are cases where the surrogate refused to hand over the child to the parents. But today, the laws are so strict that the surrogate has no right over the child. No matter if she is the birth mother or not.

08/26/2018 at 19:19
  7. Surrogacy is definitely helping a lot in many ways. It has changed the lives of people. Brought happiness in lives of people. Sometimes people take it wrong but we must look into the positive aspects of it. Since there are clinics out there which are guiding properly. Best of luck.

08/27/2018 at 08:38
    • I’d agree surrogacy’s the blessing. But the financial stress is the hardest thing I should say. We have a son via surrogacy. (The process itself was not the cheapest one.) I guess you’ll spend almost $10,000 on your baby’s first year.You really don’t realize how much you need for your child. And how tempting it is to buy things! Even if youre prepared to shell out for diapers, food, gear, clothes, toys, childcare, and healthcare, some hidden extras may bust your budget. The reasons may be different sadly enough. For example, my child had chronic ear infections. It’s the $20 co-pays added. Or emergency room visits which cost $150 co-pay for. Then I planned breastfeeding. So this plan didn’t work. And we ended up buying formula. Also making room for our long awaited baby was quite money consuming. It may sound surprising but I also found sleep suits to be really expensive as DS grew so quickly. He had two or three for each season (vomit/nappy spills etc.) Sometimes we had one in the wash, one drying and one on him) for each size and they added up. Also consider things like occasional babysitting/music classes/gymbaroo/playgroups/swim lessons – all these things add up a lot. One should be ready for.

01/07/2020 at 13:29
  8. The main reason behind this is the attraction of peoples towards gestational surrogacy. Or you can say that gestational surrogacy suits them or is perfect for them that is why they prefer gestational surrogacy. Both are the two different forms of surrogacy. There are numerous conditions of infertility. Like a woman who is always miscarrying should probably go for gestational surrogacy. In this surrogacy, the surrogate mother DNA has no impact on the DNA of the baby. In traditional surrogacy case is the opposite. So the people mostly talk about gestational surrogacy.

09/30/2018 at 10:55
Leave a reply