Information Magazine about Adoption, Complex Cases of Fertility & Surrogacy
Repeated IVF failure, can I benefit from PGD?

Repeated IVF failure, can I benefit from PGD?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Noolaa</span>
    Noolaa

Hello,
    I had my 5th miscarriage one week ago and to be honest DH and I are devastated, we don’t know what to do or what’s next. Dr says we should give PGD a try, but what if the causes of failure are not genetic or chromosomal? What if they’re immunological?
    In any case, I’d like to learn more about the success rates of PGD, and also what’s your opinion taking our case into account? Do you think it’ll work for us? What about egg donation or surrogacy?
    TIA
    xx

01/08/2018 at 17:08
  2. Dear Noolaa,

Recurrent miscarriages can occur due to multiple reasons, being one of them linked to the genes of the embryo. Some genetic abnormalities allow for fertilization and embryo development but it stops developing at some point early in pregnancy. In other words, embryonic arrest occurs very early in pregnancy, and that’s when we talk about miscarriage.

If in your cause recurrent miscarriages occur due to a genetic problem, PGD could indeed be the solution for you. This genetic analysis is done prior to the transfer in order to determine whether the embryos have some kind of genetic abnormality that compromises their genetic material. Once the affected ones are detected, they will be dismissed.

The chances for IVF with PGD to cause an ongoing pregnancy depend on the cause of recurrent miscarriage. If it were a genetic cause, it will depend on the odds of obtaining embryos without genetic abnormalities, too.

On the other hand, as you mentioned, the cause of recurrent miscarriage can be due to immunological alterations that are causing your organism to reject the fetus, thereby leading to miscarriage. In this case, PGD would be effective only if the cause is determined by genetics or is a consequence of a genetic abnormality.

In any case, examining the remaining tissues from your miscarriages would be interesting in order to find the cause or the reason behind them.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes

01/09/2018 at 09:50
  3. Dear you are definitely going through much of a hard time right now facing a miscarriage is on its own so frustrating but you just have to hold on to everything. Rather than PGD, I would advise you to go for surrogacy as there are certain results. Hope for the best and just do not lose hope at all.

08/25/2018 at 16:50
  4. Oh, my 5th miscarriage. Dear, you definitely had been through a lot. It is really sad to hear that you and husband are going through a tough time. Just do not lose hope dear. It is definitely a hard time in your life but it will pass. Good things will come. For that, you have to remain optimistic. There are many ways through which one can deal with the curse of infertility. People are changing their lives with it in numerous ways. You just need to look more broadly into the possibilities available. You have to remain calm also. Sometimes IVF takes time to show it’s results but at right time it does. So, just remain positive because there are clinics out there which will guide you wonderfully. Will solve all the queries from your head. All the best for the future dear.

08/27/2018 at 08:36
    • That’s tough. Poor thing you’ve gone through so much… Unfortunately no one, often even a Dr, can tell you exactly why your embie failed to implant. There are so many reasons which can provoke it. Almost always Dr is not capable to state the accurate reason why..These pains I know. We all are trying to do our best in dreadful 2ww. We look for tips to ”help” our wee beans survive. My BTC told me to continue life as normal. So that is exactly what I did. Continued with work. Granted I have a desk job. I continued by exercising including yoga. Thus was doing it carefully due to the possibility of twisted ovaries. The only thing I did differently was eating a whole pineapple over the first few days. Also did a daily fertility meditation. (There are lots of variants on Youtube). I was lucky enough to get my BFP that validates this approach I think. But regarding the fact my body was never meant to hold the pregnancy – it ended in dreadful mc. We are parenting our DS after a surrogacy shot in Ukraine.

Yours, though, is another story. Ultimately, I think the best thing you can do during this time is trying not to stress. Do whatever you need to help you with that. And hope, always hope for better.

11/03/2020 at 09:14
  5. I’m so much sorry to hear about your mc. The cause is often not identified, unfortunately. If a miscarriage happens during the 1st trimester of pregnancy, it’s usually caused by problems with the foetus. About 3 in every 4 miscarriages happen during this period..This statistics is very sad indeed, our tiny beans face the hugest issues during this very period of time. If a miscarriage happens after the first trimester of pregnancy, it may be the result of things like an underlying health condition in the mother. Late miscarriages may also be caused by an infection around the baby. This usually leads to the bag of waters breaking before any pain or bleeding. Sometimes they can be caused by the neck of the womb opening too soon. First trimester miscarriages are often caused by problems with the chromosomes of the foetus. Chromosome problems – Chromosomes are blocks of DNA. They contain a detailed set of instructions that control a wide range of factors, from how the cells of the body develop to what colour eyes a baby will have. Sometimes something can go wrong at the point of conception and the foetus receives too many or not enough chromosomes. The reasons for this are often unclear, but it means the foetus won’t be able to develop normally, resulting in a miscarriage. This is very unlikely to recur. It doesn’t necessarily mean there’s any problem with you or your partner. Placental problems. The placenta is the organ linking the mother’s blood supply to her baby’s. If there’s a problem with the development of the placenta, it can also lead to a miscarriage. Several long-term health conditions can increase your risk of having a miscarriage in the second trimester, especially if they’re not treated or well controlled.. Infections. Food poisoning. Some medicines. To be sure a medicine is safe in pregnancy, always check with your doctor, midwife or pharmacist before taking it. Among other reasons are: womb structure, weakened cervix, pcos and others.

08/15/2019 at 12:33
  6. Firstly, I’m sorry you’re facing this. We’ve already been through 4 failed OE IVF cycles. After doing some research here are the things to share.
    There are 3 basic reasons why IVF fails.The first is that embryo transferred to the uterus was incompetent. In most cases, this is due to an irregular number of chromosomes in the embryo.
    The second reason is an underlying implantation dysfunction that prevents the embryo from properly attaching to the uterine lining. The commonest causes for this include: A thin endometrium (measuring less than 9 mm) at the peak of estradiol stimulation. Scarring, polyps and uterine fibroids that create a local adverse environment that prevents implantation. Immunologic dysfunction that results in implantation failure.
    The third reason relates to technical difficulty in the performance of embryo transfer, which is a rate limiting factor. It is an undeniable fact that not all RE’s are equally skilled at the performance of this important step of the IVF process unfortunately.
    I’d also advise you looking onto mitochondrial donation/donor eggs as the high quality ones. Also try to investigate the MCs reasons. Have a nice consultation with your dr, this must help. Wishing you all the best.

01/07/2020 at 13:41
  7. Hi luv. Being in your shoes I’d forced myself think more of the posititve aspects, even when it’s a failure. I mean, everything what happens is a step closer to the success. And if your 1st try IVF was unsuccessful – It’s NOT the reason to think you’ll never get prego via this option. For the majority of ladies it takes more than 1 shot to conceive. I guess there’s more medical explanation to all this. See, your body has lived a stable pattern for years. Unfortunately, you couldn’t get prego with that one, so you started to look for some med help. To make the round with high chances, your body is placed under different hormonal meds influence. For different reasons, your Dr decides over. I’m just saying every IVF start is a huge stress laid upon your organism. It has to adapt to some new pattern. And this results in that we often don’t get things expected – We should to wait a bit longer to succeed. Just give one more try IVF. I’m sure it’ll bring you much better experience. Stay strong, I’m praying your luck’s behind the corner.

10/28/2020 at 09:01
  8. I know what torture it can be when passing numerous cycles with no luck. It’s like the whole world crushes at you. You can hardly find the strength to live peacefully every other day. You wait for the miracle, but for some reason, it takes more time to achieve it. I’m hoping you’re dealing well now as some time passed. Anyway having your embies PGD/PGS tested is a huge plus whilst treatments. This way your dr makes sure at least the greatest number of possible defects are eliminated. Costs though are another point. We had to move abroad to make our treatment route cheaper. Luckily we were to have got PGD included in the package price.

11/03/2020 at 09:08
Leave a reply