Information Magazine about Adoption, Complex Cases of Fertility & Surrogacy
Do surrogate mothers pass on DNA?

Do surrogate mothers pass on DNA?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">PATRICK DAFOE</span>
    PATRICK DAFOE

Please help us understand this!!! I’m very confused because my wife and I are going to hire a surrogate (we’ve just started to look for agencies and all that stuff) and we still can’t understand if our baby is going to have the genes of the surro mom or not. My wife is very concerned about this because she thinks she’ll feel the baby as an “stranger” or as an adoptive child because he or she’s actually the child of that woman… Please, give me a reason to help her come to terms with this and make her see that the child’s gonna be ours :S

11/24/2017 at 11:58
  2. Dear PATRICK DAFOE,

No. In gestational surrogacy (GS) arrangements, the surrogate just carries the baby until birth. She doesn’t have a genetic link to the child, because the embryos that are transferred to her uterus were created using the gametes of the intended parents or, in any case, from gamete donors. A gestational surrogate is just the birth mother.

Conversely, there’s another type os surrogacy called traditional surrogacy (TS) in which the surrogate does have a genetic connection to the child, since she’s just inseminated artificially and therefore it is her eggs which are fertilized using either the sperm of the intended father or from a sperm donor.

Click here to read more: What Are the Different Types of Surrogacy? – Names & Definition.

I hope this helps,

Best regards

11/27/2017 at 09:24
  3. It depends on which surrogacy you are going to choose. In my case I am infertile and we are going for gestational surrogacy. Gestational surrogacy has no effect on the DNA of a child. It is just a womb to develop your baby only. In our case, our baby is going to be of our own DNA. You should also choose between gestational surrogacy or the traditional surrogacy. Traditional surrogacy has an impact of surrogate on the child’s DNA.

09/30/2018 at 10:49
Leave a reply